Tuesday, September 01, 2009

See it on Film: September 2009

I saw Play Time on 70mm at the Aero a few weeks back, and it occurred to me that this site's focus on DVDs obscures the fact that virtually everything in the Criterion Collection was designed to be seen in a theater (with a few exceptions). So for those of you in Los Angeles, here are some of the films from the Criterion Collection that are showing in movie theaters during the month of September. If anyone wants to e-mail me listings for shows in other cities or venues, I'll be happy to add them to this post; I'm going to try to put this together on the first of every month.

  • September 4, 7:30 PM: Ghostbusters (there was a Criterion laserdisc, and also this movie is awesome), double feature with Ghostbusters II, featuring a discussion with Ivan Reitman, Aero, $9

  • September 5, 7:30 PM: Smiles of a Summer Night, Cinefamily, $10

  • September 10, 8 PM: A Hard Day's Night (there was a Criterion laserdisc, and also this movie is awesome), Cinefamily, $10

  • September 11–12: Double Feature: Day of Wrath and Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, New Beverly, $7

  • September 17, 7:30 PM: 2001: A Space Odyssey (laserdisc, awesome), Egyptian, $10 (in 70mm)

  • September 17, 8 PM: Gimme Shelter, Cinefamily, $10

  • September 25–26: Double Feature: Au Revoir Les Enfants and Lacombe Lucien, New Beverly, $7

  • September 25, 7:30 PM: An Autumn Afternoon, LACMA, $10

  • September 25, 8 PM: The Long Good Friday, double Feature with The Krays), Cinefamily, $12

  • September 26, 7 PM: The Magic Flute, Cinefamily, $10

6 comments:

Jeff McMahon said...

Don't make me travel back in time two years to see these.

Matthew Dessem said...

After carefully following every link and verifying that I hadn't stumbled on an old calendar by mistake, I finally noticed the title. I guess I'm just nostalgic for the fall of 2007.

Anonymous said...

The Criterion laserdiscs of '2001' and 'Strangelove' are spectacular. It's a shame they never got the rights for DVD.

Jonah said...

Matthew, I'd love to hear your impressions of Playtime!

Matthew Dessem said...

JLAdam,

It's also a shame I don't have a laserdisc player.

Matthew Dessem said...

Jonah,

I loved it. More on that when I get to writing about it—but yeah, I think it's a masterpiece.